Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Something of a Silver Lining...Kenya Week 30: April 25- May 1

The rains throughout Kenya continue pouring. I'm continually frustrated by the dark clouds and muddy roads. I cringe everytime we have to change our plans and postpone our activities. Yet the clouds that frustrate me bring joy to most Kenyans: the farmers rejoice as their crops - the well being of their families- grow and green.

As I reflect on this past week, I realize that every dark cloud really does have something of a silver lining...

Wednesday morning, I sat comfortably in the big Land Crusier on the way to Otati for a Jigger Removal Day at the Dispensary. The few other volunteers and health workers also in the vehicle eagerly discussed the events of last night: thugs broke in and robbed one of the biggest business men in the Karungu division, stealing anywhere between $650 and $6,500 depending on which rumor you believe. As they swapped gossip, we came upon a huge crowd gathered in the road. Apparently one of the robbers had been caught and killed during a shoot out with the police in the field only a few hundered meters from the road. As the police proudly walked back to their vehicles, the crowd rushed to see the murdered body, declaring happily that justice has been served.

While I spent the day trying to hold back the nausea I felt each time I saw the image of the murdered robber in my mind, I found out that I had also been the victim of a crime. On Wednesday afternoon, not a small chunk of change of the Jigger Project money was stolen within hours of being withdrawn from the ATM.

My already nauseuos stomach swelled into my chest. My first thought was not anger towards the robbers but rather an overwhelming saddness. How can I continue helping the families plagued by these parasites? My time in Kenya along with the project budget is already running low. Now there's almost nothing left. Do I have to cancel the projects we've already begun? Will we have enough funds to buy the cement we promised for Not Primary School, after the community has worked so hard to raise the funds to prepare the floors for the cementing? And what about the families that we promised to help smear their homes? Do I have to tell them nevermind- we don't have any more money?

And what about the donors that trusted me with their money? What kind of missionary am I to allow such a thing to happen? Can I face them and tell them I used every penny of their money to the best of my ability?

Thankfully there's a silverlining in ever cloud. A sympathetic volunteer doctor at St. Camillus donated $194 to help refund some of the stolen money. And the Catholic Medical Mission Board is giving me an "emergency stipend" this month that I can apply back towards the project. Even with the extra help, I'm still "in the red" when it comes to the stolen money. But since I'm personally responsible for the project funds, I'll make up for the loss from my meager savings. At least that way I don't have to say no to the families we've already promised to help.

Despite the rather traumatic day on Wednesday, I'm still incredibly optimistic about the Project and my reminaing few weeks in Karungu. Its been such a blessing seeing the Before and Afters of each of the families we've assisted. Whether they stand in front of their newly roofed and smeared homes or admire the miraculous healing of previously jigger infested hands and feet, the look of hope and gratitude on their faces is undeniable. So yeah, I'm out a few hundred dollars. But I'm not doing any more that what I've asked my donors to do. At least I get to see the Before and After's first hand.

I still have sympathy for the robbers. They would probably choose to work and earn a living if they had the option. But in a country with almost no jobs and staggering poverty, many people feel forced into theft for survival. Meanwhile, I pray for the family of the murdered man. I hope that someday a reliable justice system will be in place to negate the need for Mob Justice. And I hope that the men that stolen our money use it well.

May they all find some small silver lining in their dark clouds, especially during this Kenyan rainy season.

4 comments:

  1. Kayla, I know we have already talked about this and again, I am so sorry for the week you have had. Where do you want people to donate or mail money?

    Have fun with Van and your last month in Kenya. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kayla- I am so sorry that you were robbed. Please look to a silver lining for your experience and do not let this be a lasting memory of your wonderful time in Karungu. I know you have a wonderful attitude about how poor and needy the people are there. Think of all the wonderful and generous people you have met and all the amazing things you have accomplished. Love you so much -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert WuillameyMay 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM

    Kayla do not be discouraged. All of us here at CMMB are proud of the work you are doing. And your experience is not unusual. I will be sending you a personal check for $100 to help make up for lost funds. Keep up the good work.

    Robert Wuillamey
    Deputy Director
    Catholic Medical Mission Board

    ReplyDelete
  4. People always say you learn something new everyday, and today I learned that my sister is more amazing than I ever thought. I love you so much and seriously admire your strength in forgiving.

    ReplyDelete