Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Nying’a Kayla Adhiambo na Otati… Kenya Week 32: May 9-15

You can ask my mother: I’ve always hated goodbyes. As a child I preferred crying in bed buried under my covers rather than saying goodbye to family and friends on their way to the airport. Unfortunately such behavior is frowned upon for 22 year old Public Health Officers. But believe it or not, the long, heartbreaking ordeal of saying goodbye has begun. I’m still trying to piece together where exactly the last 8 months disappeared to. As I went to visit and say goodbye to each of the homes and families I’ve been worked with over the past months, I’m witnessing firsthand the fruits of my labor and that of all the donors and supporters of the project.

So I have to pull myself together and search for the right words to express as I hug each person goodbye. Those words usually include praise for their hard work, encouragement to continue preventing the jiggers, and finally a promise to return as soon as possible.

As I look ahead to my last week in Karungu, I can’t help but think about how much more work there is to do. Right now I’m out of time and out of money. But that doesn’t mean I intend to stop working with the Public Health Officers and Community Health Volunteers. I might not be here in person, but with modern technology and a lot of love, I’ll definitely be here in spirit. I plan on continuing to raise money to help the families that were left behind and complete the projects we placed on the “Wish List”.

Next week I’ll give the final count for the project. How many people we treated for jiggers, how many homes we cemented or smeared or roofed, how many classrooms we cemented, etc. etc. But for now, I want to focus on the people. Yeah, the numbers are nice and easy to process. But they reflect the very real struggles, hopes, joys, and dreams of the people I’ve come to know and love.

Last Friday I said a tearful goodbye to my friends in Otati (a small village in Karungu) and promised to return as soon as I find a sponsor to pay my transport. They promised to keep working hard to help those affected by jiggers.

And they once again reminded me and made me promise to never forget:
“Nying’a Kayla Adhiambo na Otati”.

My name is Kayla Adhiambo from Otati.


p.s. Speaking of names: Check it out! My blog made its way onto another blog! http://nameberry.com/blog/2010/05/05/african-names-a-report-from-kenya/

5 comments:

  1. Kayla Adhiambo, Dad and I just read this latest update and know you are saying your goodbyes tearfully. Remember how you would turn away with crossed arms and a pouty face at the airport when we would say goodbye to family? Just forget trying to get a hug from "Fuzzy" when she was not happy. We know you are doing your best. Love is in the air! Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla

    It's wonderful what you're doing. This is a long shot but by any chance is the David Otieno you mentioned from Nyatike David Otieno Okinyi, do you know? A boy between 10 and 13 years of age? I'm asking because I lost contact last year and I've been looking ever since. An answer on here would be great or you can email me.

    Thanks a lot,

    Charlotte Smith (sb0u8120@student.liv.ac.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Dotcom, turned Kayla story. I miss you girly and am so proud of everything you've done since graduation just one year ago. When the waters settle and you are "home" again, please give me a call. Love, love, love you!
    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardly seems possible that you're on the way home. The last two blogs were fabulous! A lot of love floatin' around all over this world and YOU make it happen. Have a great climb on Mt. Kenya. Be safe. See you soon. Love, Poppa

    ReplyDelete
  5. i miss you and i know everyone in kenya will too. love you sister

    ReplyDelete