Saturday, February 6, 2010

Leaving...Kenya Week 18: February 1-6

As I pack my bags to fly back to the States, I can’t help but think about what I’m leaving and what I’m going home to. I’m leaving my summer clothes and perfect weather for winter coats and snow storms. I’m leaving my mosquito-netted bunk bed for my mosquito-free bed in my own room. I’m leaving my co-workers, patients, and beautiful neighborhood kids for my real family and friends. I’m leaving relaxing weekends of reading and exploring for fun filled weekends of weddings and festivities. And I’m leaving my work of eradicating parasites to raise money to eradicate more parasites.

Thankfully even though I’m leaving Karungu for a few weeks, the Jigger Eradication Campaign will continue. Tom the Public Health Officer is continuing to organize Removal Days at local schools. Barnabas the Assistant Chief is continuing to help jigger infected individuals in our area get the extra assistance they need. And Teresa the Director of Hope and Life is continuing to find those with jiggers and bring them to the hospital. And my family and friends in Kansas City are working hard to organize and publicize the presentation I’m giving at St. Marks on the 18th. Van made a great flyer for the event. Joe is talking to everyone and anyone about the event and organizing interviews for me in local newspapers. My mom is contacting neighbors and friends to help spread the word.

And all the while, I got to spend a few days at the beach with the Karungu Mzungus. The timing was perfect: Amanda flew into Nairobi on Saturday after her arm completely healed; I needed to be in Nairobi to fly home; Lauren and Christy had a few days between their travels before flying out of Nairobi; and Angela wanted to say hello and goodbye before we all go our separate ways. We all converged on Nairobi and traveled to Diani Beach to spend our last few days together. So I managed to sneak in a few days with my dear friends at the beach. But don’t worry; I kept working on the Campaign reports, prospectus, and presentations!
Angi, Lauren, Amanda, Me, and Christy at Diani Beach.

So I’m leaving Kenya. But only for two weeks. Which is a good thing because I’ve got jiggers to remove, families to help, and Public Health interventions to implement.

1 comment:

  1. don't brag about the sun my dear sister......i miss it too much! but i miss you more

    ReplyDelete