Saturday, February 27, 2010

0 to 60, then 60 to 0...Kenya Week 21: February 21-27

If I went from 0 to 60 the moment I landed on United States soil, I went from 60 to 0 the second I stepped off the plane in Nairobi. Talk about whiplash…

I got back to Karungu on Wednesday and I expected to hit the ground running once I got back to work on Thursday. But I forget that I’m in Africa…where…everything…happens…just…a…bit…slower…

Restarting the Karungu Jiggers Eradication Campaign has to wait till Tuesday when I can meet with Tom, Barnabas, and Teresa- the other leaders in the Campaign. I guess that’s one of the realities, benefits, and disadvantages of working at the community level. I depend on so many other people that sometimes I have to wait patiently. I’ve often heard, “They’ve had jiggers for years. They can wait a few more days.” While that sentiment nearly drives me nuts, I understand the deeper reality behind the seemingly heartless words. I can’t eradicate every jigger this week and we have to plan well to make the Campaign lasting and effective. Luckily my co-workers have told me that many lists have been compiled of individuals with jiggers, so that’s a great start. Its happening slower than my “go get ‘em” attitude prefers, but I’m excited to see what we can do!

In the mean time, just a few reminders that I’m back in Kenya:

1. We took a shuttle, a bus, a pseudo-taxi, and a motorbike to get back to Karungu. Luckily the nine hours of horribly uncomfortable traveling conditions passed in a jiffy as I slept away my jet lag!

2. I was greeted by cheers and hugs by my precious neighbor kids the moment I stepped into the gate of the Staff Compound.

3. I've finished my book, started another, updated my photos, returned all my emails, and had free time to take a nap, go for a run, and play with the kids. This is Africa.

4. Two of my co-workers had family members pass away while I was gone. Both were middle aged men who had been battling AIDS for about 4 years.

5. The interesting tragedy of the week: a man was attacked and killed by a hippopotamus in a nearby village. Fantasia lies…turns out hippos aren’t sweet and nimble like ballerinas.

3 comments:

  1. Lil Sister! You are back in Kenya and I am back in America! AGH! I'm so jealous of you and I haven't even been back for 48 hours yet! I tried to text you before I left, not sure it went through...? Hey, where was the hippo attack?! Mbita? Sindo? Somewhere closer? Nevermind, I should just email you instead...peace out.
    *Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Sister! Glad we could skype for a bit the other day. I love your blog because I get to find out about all the typical stuff you forget to say over skype calls. Miss you more and more each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so glad you are back in Karungu - and so happy they kids didn't forget you while you were gone! Keep up the good work that you are doing. There is a special place in heaven for you! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete