Sunday, December 27, 2009

Twas the Day Before Christmas...Kenya Week 12: December 20-26

 

 

I feel my Kenyan Christmas experience is best expressed in rhyme**... Enjoy!

Twas the day before Christmas, and all through St. Camillus,
The mzungus spread Christmas joy even if it would kill us.
The decorations were hung by Kayla and Lauren with care,
In hopes that visitors would leave them right there.

The patients were nestled all snug in their beds,
While Christy placed dextrose and painkillers over their heads.
And Dr. Jimmy monitored patients with his smile and stethoscope
Checking vitals and breath sound for signs of hope.

When out on the staff compound there arose such a clatter,
I sprang up from my nap to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew with glee,
To see little Alan stuck up in a tree!

The moon on the breast of the beautiful lake
Gave the luster of a postcard or something else fake.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
A tall Italian priest, talking loud for all to hear.

With a tank top and shorts, his cigarette aglow,
I knew in a moment it must be Fr. Emilio.
More rapid than eagles his orders they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called us by name!

"Now Kayla! Now, Jimmy! Now, Lauren and Christine!
Fr. Mario! Fr. Julius! All the novices get in!!
Climb into the cars! Be careful don’t fall!
Its time for Christmas Mass! Now dash away all!"

The Duluo Christmas songs they were a-singing,
While the English Noel in my ears was a-ringing.
After Mass we drank wine and ate Panattone,
All together in the house so we didn’t feel quite so alone.

On Christmas Day we gave the patients some sweets,
And sang them Christmas Carols. Oh what a treat!
We each had a few packages we opened with joy.
The chocolates and cards much better than any trinket or toy.

My Kenyan friends and neighbors did little to celebrate.
For them having rice makes their small feast just great.
Poverty keeps them from buying gifts and such.
But at least they can take off work and not do much.

I hope you all enjoyed my little Christmas rhyme.
And I pray that it finds you warm, happy, and fine.
A poet I’m not, but I wish you with all of my might,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"


**The characters and events of this poem are based on fact...to the greatest extent possible when attempting to rhyme. Any resemblance to classical American Christmas poems is purely coincidental.

3 comments:

  1. Kayla, (If this post is already up then sorry. I tried to post a comment but it disappeared!) Anyway, your poem is wonderful. I believe Maya Angelou would be proud. How long did it take you to write it? Keep it up. I love it and you. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, Happy New Year, Kayla! I finally got caught up on your blog for December! Now I can't wait for your next addition. I assume you know that you write beautifully, but your poem is the best! We love it! And what an amazing month you have had - so many wonderful, meaningful experiences. Keep up the good work. We are so proud of you and we love you with all our hearts. Mommer

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHA. post a picture of that kid stuck in a tree. i hope he's ok.

    ReplyDelete