Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Two Chickens in One Week: We Must Be Doing Something Right!...Kenya Week 26: March 29-April 4

As we celebrate Holy Week, I can’t help but smile when I think about the gifts we’ve given and the gifts we’ve received this week. By Holy Thursday, Priscilla, Elseba, Samson, Wilson, and Jackline were resting comfortably in their jigger free homes. Otati Primary School and Rabare Primary School were working hard to prepare the floors of their classrooms for cementing. We had all the data collected and we’re making a schedule for the upcoming Jigger Removal Days. And we made an “Informational and Educational Communication” piece, i.e. a small flyer about how to treat and prevent jiggers.

Even more exciting than seeing the project really come together despite bad weather and worse roads is seeing the appreciation and relief in the eyes of the people we help. When Priscilla’s nephew walked up to the home holding a squawking chicken, I thought he was giving it to Priscilla for a welcome home gift. But when he thrust it towards me, wings flapping and feet kicking, I realized he wanted me to accept his feathery display of gratitude. Luckily Richard the Community Health Worker recognized my hesitation and intercepted the bird. We express our gratitude for the gift, and then passed it on to Priscilla. She needs the protein more than we do. As we drove away, the family smiled and waved as Priscilla held the chicken in her lap. Maybe she’ll have a few eggs to eat for Easter.

Two days later we visited Wilson and Jackline to see how the construction of their home was coming along. They’d faced some difficulty with the rains and the floor of their home was more of a mud pit than a floor. But we organized for the work to continue and the community promised to help Wilson finish the walls and floor. As we prepared to leave, Wilson snuck away. A moment later he came back carrying a chicken and a huge smile on his face. As with Priscilla, I tried to say, “thanks but no thanks”. But Wilson would have none of it. Although he only has 4 chickens, he insisted that I take one as a sign of his appreciation for helping him complete his new home.

Although I’m quite sure the chicken-Easter Egg connection was lost on the Kenyans, I chuckled to myself at the thought of receiving two chickens the week before Easter. For all the times I’ve felt discouraged or useless here in Kenya, the chickens remind me that we really are doing something right.

I carried the chicken down to the kitchen and proudly handed it to Dominic the cook. The questioning look on his face revealed his suspicion of how and why I was handing him a live chicken. When I told him about Wilson, he smiled approvingly and went into the kitchen for the knife.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, dear Kayla - what exceptional gestures of appreciation were given to you this week! That is so sweet of those people to give you so much in thanks. I hope you will reflect on all of this and see the importance of your work. We are so proud of you! Much love, Mommer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, Kenyan chickens! Did Dominic make his awesome fluffy ugali OR some boiled potatoes to go with that kuku? Brings tears to my eyes just thinking of Dominic, Manasse, and Meshack hanging out in the kitchen. Please give them my greetings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla, Oh, how I wish I could see you holding a live chicken!! What a gift from those you are helping. Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that was a week! TWO CHICKENS!! How proud you must have felt. How proud WE felt. We just love hearing form you. Keep up the good work and your much appreciated help to those needing so little to make their lives so much better. Love you, Poppa

    ReplyDelete
  5. easter in NO,LA will not be quite the same... at least i will get to see your beautiful face this time next year

    ReplyDelete