Friday, November 20, 2009

Home is where the Heart Is …Kenya Week 7: November 15-22

Sitting in my room at the St. Camillus Seminary in Nairobi, I caught myself off guard when the thought, “I want to go home!” popped into my head on Monday evening. But the “home” I imagined was not Lee’s Summit, Missouri or New Orleans, Louisiana. Suddenly “home” meant Karungu, Kenya. In seven short yet powerful weeks, my paradigm shifted once again: I live in Africa. I work at a hospital in the bush. My friends are Italian volunteers, Kenyan seminarians, and Luo nurses. For fun I play with my beautiful neighbor children, run on muddy cattle trails, write letters, and read books. And one week away from home was too much. I wanted to be back. I wanted to give vaccines to babies, to speak broken Duluo, to laugh with the seminarians and priests at dinner, to constantly scrape mud from my shoes, and to watch the sunset over the lake.

This unexpected Karungu-homesickness nestled down right next down to my America-homesickness. Undeniably, while in Africa I’ve yearned for the comforts and security of my America-home more than ever before. I miss the paved roads, warm showers, and the luxurious beauty of the developed world. I miss grocery shopping, cooking dinner for my family, going to the movies, and leaving the house after the sunset. I miss the Streetcar bumbling down St. Charles Ave in New Orleans and the parasite-free lakes in Kansas City. I miss the instant and reliable communication with my loved ones. I miss feeling safe enough to travel alone and I miss blending in.

Yet when I look around me, I realize most of the people in Karungu can barely fathom what it means to miss such extravagant homes. Gaston, Michael, and Mary were thrilled to return to their new jigger-free, concrete-slab, one-room home. Mary the Nurse Aid wishes her home had running water so she wouldn’t have to fetch it from the lake every morning. Emma the Cleaner wishes she had her own home so she and her children wouldn’t be at the mercy of her landlord when she can’t afford to pay the month’s rent. The children at Dala Kiye have a beautiful home, loving caretakers, three meals a day, and school fees so they can graduate high school. Although they’re HIV+ and orphaned, they may be the most blessed kids in all of Karungu. Meanwhile the other 5,000 orphans and vulnerable children around Karungu have no home to miss. Day in and day out they struggle to find a roof to sleep under, a decent meal to eat, and a relative to pay their school fees.

Back at home in Karungu, I still miss home. And since I miss Amanda while she’s at home in New York recovering from surgery, I wrote her a letter telling her to come home soon.

My home is Lee’s Summit, New Orleans, Karungu. My family and friends send me precious letters from California, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana, Missouri, Belgium, Swaziland, Chile, and Iraq. How blessed I am to have so many homes and so many loved ones. If “Home is where the Heart Is”, then my heart is scattered across the globe in countless pieces.
 

 

My beautiful neighbors back home in Karungu.

6 comments:

  1. Have I ever told you that you are precious soul? So many homes, so many people loving you, including me. Stay safe and keep up all the good work you are doing. I love you so much - Mommer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayla, thank you again for making me such a proud mother. Yes, I am crying after reading your update today. Home. You are always "home" in my heart. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. why must you write with such elegence and humility? you make me want to be a better person, but more than that, you just make me miss you. but i know the feeling of "wanting to go home" but in reality to your second or third home. love you so so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kayla! I found this blog through an email you sent to TCC that I read way late since I never check Tulane email anymore. I haven't read everything yet but I read this entry and skimmed through November. It sounds like you're having an awesome time and making quite a difference. Reading this makes me want to do something similar! Hopefully I will have a chance at some point during or after med school. I got rejected from Tulane (honestly not that surprised) but have other interviews so I feel like I'm going to end up at the best place for me. Anyway, I can't imagine what it's like to call Kenya "home" (at least not yet) but I do know how you feel in the sense that your heart is all over the place because it's with all the people you love scattered all over the place...for me more the country than the world but sometimes it's hard to be still in your own head and stay on task when you're "talking" to people in your head hundreds and thousands of miles away. And I especially know how you feel missing the streetcar! You will be riding it again soon before you know it though. I'm so happy that I managed to find you online. Now this website will always be up in my browswer at work. Good luck and have a safe trip "home" to Karungu (if you haven't already).

    Love you,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not one bit surprised to read your update today. Remember the quote I put on your sending off card? "Wherever one is, some part of oneself remains on another continent."-- Dame Margot Fonteyn. You will be forever falling in love with new people and new lands, Miss Bronder. What an exciting prospect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great points! I think you need a vacation when you are done, but is should be in Bali!

    ReplyDelete