Saturday, October 3, 2009

Halfway there and living on a prayer

Sitting in Heathrow's International Terminal as travelers from around the world hustle about to their various departure gates, the enormity of this globe and the experience I'm just beginning slowly sinks in. In a few short hours, Amanda, Jimmy, and I will board a plane to Nairobi. My emotions alternate between amazement, unbelief, shock, exhilaration, calm, and giddiness when I think about the journey I've begun. One of my life dreams is literally unfolding before my eyes.

I spent this past week at CMMB Orientation at the beautiful Stella Maris retreat house in Long Branch, New Jersey. The CMMB Volunteer Coordinators Richard and Lizzie organized an excellent 3 days where fellow volunteers heard discussions on essential topics ranging from travel safety, medical professional safety precautions, tropical health, maintaining communications, and the history, structure, and vision of CMMB. Most importantly, we met our fellow missionaries, both new missionaries like myself and veterans. Hearing their stories, seeing their passion, and feeding off their excitement only energized me more. We even spent a day in New York City at the CMMB Headquarters! We had a few free hours in the evening to explore the city. As a first timer, I soaked it all in. We walked from the CMMB Headquarters on 17th St. to Times Square, ate delicious NY pizza at John's Pizzeria, and took the train back to New Jersey. The short visit only made me want to return and explore the rest of the Big Apple.

On our last morning of Orientation, Lisette, Lisa, Liz and I woke up early to say Morning Prayers while the sun crawled its way over the Atlantic horizon. Cuddled under blankets in the picturesque gazebo, I couldn't help be thank God for the incredible blessings He has poured out upon me. My entire life has been one incredible grace after another. Leaving my family, friends, home, and first world way of life only reminds me the depth of God's blessings in my life. Saying goodbye proved much harder than I anticipated and the uncertainty of communication while in Kenya only make it harder. But I know my time away will only strength my love and appreciation for those at home who have shaped me and supported me through it all.

I'm half way to Kenya. In limbo between home and what will soon be my new home. Caught in the middle of the known and the unknown, the safe and the unsure, the comfortable and the challenging. At this point, all I have to live on is prayer. I repeated over and over during Orientation, "If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it". With this thought, I lay my life in His hands. I pray that He uses me as His humble servant to heal the sick, bring comfort to the afflicted, visit the lonely, and feed the hungry.

My next post will come from St. Camillus Hospital in the tiny Karungu, Kenya. Bless the Lord, oh my soul!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Kayla.

    We first heard about you at St. Mark's last weekend. We are so excited for you and this wonderful opportunity that you are just beginning!

    We have two middle school-aged daughters who are already so excited and inspired by this journey that you are beginning. You have already started touching the lives of people around you - people who you don't even know (like us!).

    We will continue to follow your blog and pray for you all along the way. We wish you the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you brought me to tears! How beautifully you write and express all that you are feeling! As you wrote: "If God brings you to it, he will bring you through it." You have such a big heart - and so much to give Karungu. Soak it all in and enjoy having this wonderful opportunity.
    Love you so much, Mommer
    P.S. Please post your address on your blog.

    ReplyDelete